Saturday, August 8, 2009

The unspeakable drive

We have arrived in Dingle via a cross country adventure through the most rural part of Ireland. I am not 100% sure I can even talk about it. I know Mike just posted a blog but I feel like I need to express my point of view.

I should have known better. I truly hate to drive as a general rule and admittedly am not very good. I get bored and my mind wanders. But really I should have taken the keys from Mike once we hit rural/agricultural areas. Why I thought a city boy could manage I don't know. I really should have just taken the keys from him. First in addition to the whole left thing he kept losing it when the road narrowed down to not really 2 lanes and whenever farm equipment entered the road. For folks from home the roads were narrow but most were like 207 or 138 as you go towards Greenfield. The more rural were like Austin or Clarksburg/New Holland Pike. I really should have just driven but he refused to give me the keys and since I hate driving I didn't fight.

But the real problem came at Connor's Pass. The guidebook called it a more narrow than normal passage way into Dingle for the adventerous. By the time we got there due to get Garmin giving us goofy directions on unpaved roads which was awful it was dark, raining and windy. Now if we have just come through roads that are not a full two lanes wide and these are considered normal/main routes why would we want to take the narrow road for adventurers? Particularly at night in the rain and fog. We couldn't even see the pretty falls that are up there. The road forked and we took the wrong one so instead of highway we are now on the pass. Mike refused to turn around at a gas staion and plugged along. You couldn't see - the two lane road was barely as wide as our compact car. The only thing that made me feel safe was feeling the road reflecters under by butt that meant we were on the right side of the road and at least someone safe from dying in a head on collision. Mike just kept laughing like a fool - it wasn't funny.

But we have made it and I may drive the loop today because he should have restrictions put for outside of four lane roads : )

Apparently Mike should also not be allowed to blog as I have posted this one and the pictures he has posted 3 different ones. I have married a nut - a lovable nut but a nut none the less.

4 comments:

  1. Poor Gena! I thought for sure you would know what it was like to drive with Mike... Intense is the only word I comes to mind. Some of my worst memories of your husband took place in a car. Has he played the "no brakes, No Brakes, NO BRAKES!!" game yet?! If not, just wait as I'm sure they're coming! I'm glad you guys are having fun and have for the most part, stayed safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am throughly enjoying your travels. Reminds me of our trips to Italy. We were not crazy enough to drive ourselves. You are having a fantastic adventure, enjoy. Sandy Anderson
    The only way I can get this post to work is to be anonymous. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we've taken a wrong turn or two in our day, I can hear the laughter of which you speak. Life is a comedy for sure. Even in the most stressful situations, it's still usually worth a laugh. Lovable nut for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim - I'm sorry I didn't send the blog link to you directly before I left, I didn't have your current email saved, but I figured Chris would get it to you!

    Good thing we're not tag-teaming on the directions, or we'd probably be in India right about now!

    ReplyDelete